What Safety Features to Look for in a New Car
Almost as long as there have been cars, manufacturers have been trying to find ways to make them safer. As far back as the turn of the 20th century, features like headlights, speedometers, and safety glass were all coming into play to help drivers operate their vehicles more safely. If those pioneers of auto safety could see the features available now, they’d be blown away! Here, we look at some of the most impressive safety features in new cars.
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC): This is widely available in new cars today, using radar and sensors to maintain a safe distance from the car ahead. It detects that car’s position and automatically applies the throttle or brakes, depending on which one is needed. If it detects potential for a crash, the ACC system brakes and tightens the seatbelts.
- Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB): This feature senses potential collisions and automatically applies the brakes. Rear automatic emergency braking does the same thing when the car is moving in reverse. Research from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) indicates that this safety feature reduces rear end collisions by 50 percent.
- Lane Assistance Systems: There are two different kinds of systems designed to keep you in your lane. The first, lane departure warning (LDW) sounds a warning or gives you a buzz to let you know you’re leaving your lane unintentionally. The other, lane keeping assistance (LKA) gently guides the car back into the lane from which it’s drifted.
- Blind Spot Warning (BSW): It used to be tricky to keep up with what was in the blind spot, but this system detects vehicles to the rear of the car in adjacent lanes, alerting the driver to their presence.
- Rear View Camera: These cameras offer the driver a clear view of what’s behind the car when it’s in reverse. This is an effective way to prevent the driver from accidentally hitting a child or animal.
- Features of the Future: These features aren’t in many vehicles yet, but they will soon be widely available.
- Safety Exit Assist: This is a great feature for parents of young children, because it temporarily stops kids from opening the back doors when vehicles are approaching from the rear.
- Facial Recognition Software: This is used to continually measure a driver’s alertness and give a warning when the driver is not paying attention, either by buzzing or vibrating the seat.
These features are great for keeping you safe, but if you’re ever in an accident, you need an attorney you can depend on to be on your side. At Taps and Associates, we provide personal attention to every case we handle, giving professional advice based on extensive experience. We believe that the biggest reward for us as attorneys is helping our clients, protecting them from those who would take advantage of them. To schedule a free consultation, contact us through our website or call 404-492-8746.