Skip to Content
chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up chevron-right chevron-left arrow-back star phone quote checkbox-checked search wrench info shield play connection mobile coin-dollar spoon-knife ticket pushpin location gift fire feed bubbles home heart calendar price-tag credit-card clock envelop facebook instagram twitter youtube pinterest yelp google reddit linkedin envelope bbb pinterest homeadvisor angies

Person with Injury on his Neck

If you’ve been in an automobile accident, you may suddenly hear terms being thrown around that are unfamiliar to you. In an accident that causes injuries, it’s a safe bet that it caused damage to your vehicle as well. In that case, you’ll probably hear the terms “personal injury claim” and “property damage claim”. What’s the difference between the two? And do you need help getting the compensation you need to move forward with your life?

If you only have a property damage claim, you may be able to handle it on your own. Property damage claims seek damages to cover the cost of harm done to your property. This includes your vehicle, and any expenses related to repairs, replacement, towing, or renting a car while your car is out of commission. If any personal items inside the car were damaged, or any other property belonging to you was harmed, a personal damage claim can cover that, too. Typically, you’ll file a claim with your insurance company. The at-fault driver must cover your costs, and if that’s not possible, your insurance may have to cover some as well. You can hire an attorney if this gets complicated, but you may not need to go this route.

On the other hand, you’ll probably need the help of a qualified attorney if you’re going to file personal injury claim. If you’re injured in an automobile accident, you can be compensated for current and future medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, permanent injuries, scarring, and other medical issues. While your insurance policy may cover some of these damages, you’re unlikely to receive the full amount of compensation you are owed if you don’t have a competent attorney on your side. An attorney can help prove that the other party is at fault, and that you deserve to be reimbursed for damages like pain and suffering, which are harder to value than straightforward items like medical bills.

Another term you might hear after an accident is bodily injury. Often, bodily injury and personal injury are used interchangeably, but this is legally inaccurate. Personal injury covers any injury suffered in the accident. Bodily injury is more limited and refers to specific injuries sustained. Bodily injury is typically covered by the at-fault party’s insurance.

Does this all seem confusing? It can be, and that’s why you need an attorney on your side who cares about getting you the compensation you deserve. At Taps and Associates, we provide personal attention to every case we handle, giving professional advice based on extensive experience. We believe that the biggest reward for us as attorneys is helping our clients and protecting them from those who would take advantage of them. To schedule a free consultation with an attorney you can trust, contact us through our website, or call 404-492-8746,

Let Our Attorneys Get You Compensation